Towns & Communities
Bible HillIn the northern part of Decatur County, four miles east of the Henderson County line, lies the settlement of Bible Hill. At one time, there was a cotton gin, blacksmith shop, grist mill, stave mille, post office, two churches, a school, a doctor's office, and a big mercantile store located there.
The post office was established September 25, 1876, and R. M. Brown served as first postmaster. Wid and Hood Long operated a general store there in the early days and at that time the post office was located in one corner of the store. The Longs also operated a cotton gin, which was moved from Sulphur Fork. The general store was sold later to Robert Brown, an early doctor, whose two sons, Milt and John, operated it.
Early settlers included the Frizzells, Smiths, Jennings, Boxes, Patricks, Bakers, Fiddlers, Gulledges, Longs, Pettigrews, Hendrixes, Tubbs, Hamiltons, Haggards, Rains, MacMurrays, Taylors, Perrys, Browns, Stills, Dukes, Arnolds, and Dodsons.
From "Tennessee County History Series: Decatur County" by Lillye Younger 1979. ISBN 0-87870-077-3